At Aurora Holidays we care about the environment. We love every inch of the nature around us and we are grateful for everything Mother Nature shares with us. We know that the environment in Lapland is very fragile and it’s easy to notice the impact our actions have on the environment, even short term. For us green living means making daily environment-friendly lifestyles choices and the aim is to reduce our carbon footprint on the planet. We constantly try to find new ways to become eco-wiser and have already switched to a greener living by implementing small changes in our everyday lives.
Currently we focus mainly on recycling, reducing the amount of energy and waste, supporting sustainability for example by using reusable products and buying from local entrepreneurs. We also use renewable natural resources like fish, berries, herbs and mushrooms by picking or catching them ourselves from local forests, rivers and fells. We only take what we need and are able to carry home.
Not only do we think eco-friendly in everyday life, but we are also taking some green actions in our business. Here is in detail what we have done so far to make your holidays greener:
-> Less waste! At the moment we are collecting recyclable bottles and deliver them back to the stores. We stopped using disposable seat covers for sauna and now only use washable fabric seat covers.
-> Yes to recycling! This year we got extra recycling bins for glass, metal and paper. We will also place a recycling box for used batteries in every cottage. It is our responsibility to take care of the recyclables and deliver them to local recycling containers.
-> Sustainability! Instead of using disposable cutlery we will now only serve everything on reusable and washable plates and cups on all our tours and hikes. And that’s not all! Those products are made of recycled materials right here in Finland.
-> Go organic! We have started to test biodegradable shampoos and household cleaning soaps, which are made in Finland. We want to support domestic organic companies by buying their environmentally friendly products. We also want to make sure that the products we use are not harmful to nature, animals or humans in any part of the manufacturing process, or afterwards in use.
We would love you to help us on our mission! Everyone plays an important part in helping our planet. So at home make eco-friendly lifestyle choices, and during your stay here please help us by recycling your waste & placing it into the right trash bins.
11 easy ways to go greener on your holiday here:
- Bring a reusable bag for shopping instead of buying plastic disposable bags.
- Bring a reusable water bottle instead of buying plastic disposable bottles. Tapwater is drinkable in Finland.
- Keep windows closed when heaters are switched on – radiators can be adjusted if it is too warm inside.
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room.
- Turn off your computer completely at night.
- Take shorter showers.
- Turn off the water while shampooing.
- Use dishwasher efficiently – go for full loads and skip pre-rinsing.
- Support the local economy by buying Finnish products and locally produced food.
- Instead of buying winter clothes you never need again, borrow them from a friend or rent them. We work together with Winter Wear Finland. It is a winter clothes rental company based in Helsinki Airport. After booking your holiday you will get a discount code from us.
- Recycle household waste, glass, paper, metal, batteries and bottles into the right bins.